Hawaii Knife Law – A Complete Guide for the Citizens of the State
- State Knife Law in Hawaii
- Limitations to Carry Knife in Hawaii
- Knife Length Limitation
- Exception for Carrying and Using Blades
- Types of Legal Knives in Hawaii
- Types of Illegal Knives in Hawaii
- Penalties for Using and Carrying Illegal Knives in Hawaii
- Restricted Places to Carry and Use Knives in Hawaii
We know there are many states in the U.S and the knife laws of each state are completely different from each other. If you are a citizen, a tourist or just a migrant to the state, then before using any weapon and a sharp object like a knife or blade, know about the legislation of state.
Let us discuss about Hawaii Knife Law, one of the top tourist destinations in the world-famous for volcanoes, blue waters and hibiscus flowers. Neither Hawaii Knife Law is very strict not it is very liberal. For knowing more, we will dig deep into the regulations of knife regulations in the state.
State Knife Law in Hawaii
The violence of crime has not crossed the level in Hawaii (HI), still, the government of the state is following some legal regulations and limitations for knife usage for the safety of the citizens.
According to Section 134-52 of Hawaii Knife Law, whoever sells, manufactures, posses, and transfers automatic or switchblade knife will be guilty of a misdemeanor as switchblades are illegal to Hawaii.
Limitations to Carry Hawaii Knife Law
According to Code 134-51, carrying any illegal knives openly and concealed is an offense. You will be guilty under Class E Felony for doing this offense, and you will be kept in jail for one year. If you have a permit for carrying any knife, then only you can carry it. If any citizen is found using illegal knives or blades without permission, then he or she will be immediately arrested without any warrant.
Knife Length Limitation
Double-edged blades are illegal as per Hawaii Knife Law. You can use less than 6.5” knife in Hawaii, otherwise, it is an offense under the Federal Law. According to the HRS Section 134-51, for violating the regulation, you have to compensate $500.
Exception for Carrying and Using Blades
People in the armed force, security department, butchers, fishermen and hunters can carry any size knife for their profession, but their id proof is necessary to be shown when required.
Types of Legal Knives in Hawaii
According to Hawaii Knife Law, some knives and blades are not prohibited to buy, sell, carry and use. However, the length of the knife should not cross 6.5”. Here are the names of such knives:
- Bowie Knife – Bowie is a large knife with a cross guard and a blade with a clipped point.
- Throwing Stars – Throwing stars or knuckles are legal to own but these knives are not legally permitted to carry outside because they are deadly weapons.
- Disguised Knives – Disguised or hidden knives like sword canes, lipstick knife, belt buckle knife, and a pen knife are legal to own and use but it is illegal to carry outside.
- Stilettos – Stiletto has a long slender blade with a needle-like point which is intended as a stabbing weapon but it is usually used for self-defense.
- Kitchen Knives – Kitchen knives can be of various types and those are often used for cutting and slashing vegetables, fish, and meat.
- Dirk – A dirk or a dagger is usually used for self-defense. It can be carried but after the permission of the weapon officer in your community.
Types of Illegal Knives in Hawaii
Many knives are illegal for the state as per Hawaii Knife Law. You may keep them in your house but you can neither sell them nor you carry them. However, there are some restrictions for that; you can use them in your home but you cannot carry the knives without authorization.
- Switchblade – You will fall under misdemeanor if you use Switchblade because it is banned in Hawaii.
- Butterfly Knife – Manufacturing, selling, carrying and transferring Butterfly Knife is illegal because Butterfly Knife is totally banned in Hawaii.
- Gravity Knife – Gravity knife is also an automatic knife that has a blade that comes out by pressing the push button. Similarly, to the Switchblade, Gravity Knife is also illegal as per Hawaii Knife Law.
- Double-Edged Knife – This knife is quite dangerous because it is sharp on both sides fully. You can use it from both sides for a different purpose. But it is not permitted in Hawaii.
- Balisong Knife – You will be guilty under Class C Felony of Code 134-53 (2012) if you carry and sell Balisong Knife. Using a Balisong Knife for threatening anybody is also a crime.
Penalties for Using and Carrying Illegal Knives in Hawaii
According to Section 134-52, the person who will use an illegal knife will fall guilty under Class C Felony. Moreover, he or she will be kept in the lock-up for five years. You may also have to compensate up to $10,000.
Restricted Places to Carry and Use Knives in Hawaii
As per Hawaii Knife Law, you cannot use or carry knives wherever you want. There are some restrictions that you need to follow for carrying and using blades and knives. Some places are totally prohibited to carry knives and blades as follows:
- Schools – You cannot carry or use any kind of knife or blade on the school premises. As per Hawaii Knife Law, you cannot even carry a paper cutter or a nail cutter without the permission of the authority of the educational institute or school. This rule is specially made for the safety of the student and other staff of the educational institute. Violating the law can be punishable and you have to compensate $500 for that offense.
- Public Places – According to Hawaii Knife Law, you cannot carry any weapons and sharp tools like knife and blades in the street, public crowd, and market areas because it is an offense.
- Vehicles – Carrying knives and blades in vehicles is also an offense and you can be arrested without a warrant for this offense. If you need knives and blades in your profession, then only carry them in vehicles but with the license. If you have no id proof, then you might have to compensate $600.
- Government Buildings –Using or carrying knives or blades inside the government buildings such as post office, bank and court is an offense and you have to compensate $500 for that. You will also be imprisoned for two years.
Hawaii Knife Law is not very strict in terms of the other states of the United States. But some regulations are only made for the increasing crime rate in the states of the U.S. These legislation are termed for the safety of the citizens in the state. Following these regulations will be beneficial for every people in the state. Moreover, the criminals will also be punished for doing any malicious work which is against the law of Hawaii. Your safety is always your responsibility, so it is high time for you to fight against crime and corruption.